Your golden years come with an array of benefits: wisdom, experience, retirement, and senior discounts! Reduced price points are available at many venues for the 55+ crowd throughout Los Angeles, and there’s so much more than early bird specials. From hotels to museums to movie theaters, senior discounts are abundant in Southern California. But most companies keep them under wraps, hoping to wrestle full prices out of everyone regardless of age.
So, we here at Borowitz & Clark did a little sleuthing to bring you a list of the top 12 local and national places to save money with senior discounts.
Top 12 Senior Discounts in Los Angeles
Note: Some of the discounts on our list are available only to AARP members and will be noted as such. Other discounts will be available starting at age 55, while a select few may indicate 65 as the minimum age.
- Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens: The iconic Los Angeles Zoo offers a modest discount on various admissions packages to seniors over the age of 62.
- Craft & Folk Art Museum: To nurture your creative side, the Craft & Folk Art Museum on Wilshire Boulevard prices entrance tickets at just $5 if you’re age 65 and up.
- Zimmer Children’s Museum: Looking for a fun and affordable place to take the grandkids? The Zimmer Children’s Museum admits all grandparents FREE on Thursdays when accompanying a grandchild. Admission for your grandchild is just $7.50 at this interactive and high-tech museum.
- Alex Film Society of Glendale: If you’d like to catch a movie, check out the Alex Film Society in Glendale, where seniors age 65 and older can purchase $12 discounted tickets.
- Hollywood Bowl: If you enjoy the excitement of a live show, the Hollywood Bowl has a jam-packed schedule of concerts under the stars. They also have $10 rush tickets available on Tuesdays and Thursdays for seniors showing a photo ID.
- Viceroy Santa Monica: AARP members age 62 or older who are craving a vacation without the travel hassle can enjoy reduced rates at Santa Monica’s luxurious Viceroy Hotel.
- Griffith Park Train Rides: Here’s another family-friendly attraction where seniors over age 65 pay less for admission. Train tickets cost $2.25 and take you on a scenic ride through the park.
- Amtrak: If you’d rather board a train to venture out of Los Angeles, Amtrak has some generous senior deals. A 15% discount is granted on certain train rides for senior travelers age 62 and older. Check with Amtrak for details on which trips apply.
- Lenscrafters: If you’re due for an annual eye exam and a member of AARP, you could save up to 60% at Lenscrafters. The national vision company also offers senior discounts on prescription eyewear.
- Walgreens: The national pharmacy chain offers a once-monthly discount of 20% for AARP and Balance Reward Card members age 55 or older.
- Kohls: You might want to mark next Wednesday on your calendar for a shopping trip to Kohls. The massive department store extends a 15% markdown on all merchandise to seniors age 60+ every Wednesday.
- Outback Steakhouse: The casual-dining hotspot rewards AARP members with 10% off every day at every location throughout the United States.
We realize this list may not be comprehensive, so please let us know of any discounts you find in the comments!
See also: Saving Money in LA: How to Use AAA
LA Grocery Store Senior Discounts
While most grocery stores do not advertise senior discounts on their websites or in their circulars, many have been rumored to offer them. Local L.A. supermarkets like Albertson’s, Lazy Acres Natural Market, and Wildberries Marketplace may offer senior discounts of 10% or higher on certain days. The best rule of thumb is to ask if an establishment offers a senior discount, as some prefer to keep their deals a secret from the public.
At the checkout, you can also ask the cashier if the store has a loyalty rewards program. Rewards cards can save you hundreds of dollars a year if you shop at the store regularly, plus they’re free! Beware of any store that asks for your credit card number or other financial commitment to sign up. All you should need to provide is your contact information. CVS offers one of the best programs with their ExtraCare savings club, rewarding you 2% back in purchases.
Finding More LA Senior Discounts
The more you explore, the more discounts and deals you’ll find in Los Angeles — a city that can easily dent your wallet. Just remember to carry your valid state ID with you, such as your driver’s license, so that you don’t miss out on any of the bargains.
Los Angeles may be an expensive city worth its weight in gold, but the price tags don’t have to tarnish your golden years.
If you are struggling financially in Los Angeles and considering bankruptcy, Borowitz & Clark may be able to help. Contact us today for a free review of your case.